These Conditions of Carriage set out your rights and duties as a passenger on our buses. These conditions apply to all travel on our bus services, and if you don't comply with our conditions, we may refuse to allow you to travel or continue to travel. In these conditions, “we” and “us” means Citymapper Limited, and “you” means anyone riding our buses.
1. Services and Safety
- We reserve the right to change frequency and bus routes. If it happens, we'll do our best to tell you in advance.
- Our services may be heavily used at times, so we can't guarantee you'll always get a seat or that you'll be carried on a particular bus.
- You must follow instructions given by our drivers or staff, because we want to make sure that all your journeys are safe.
- We reserve the right to terminate buses and to require you to leave a bus at any time. This will usually be for your safety.
- If we fail to run an advertised bus service or if there are delays to that service, we will not compensate you for any losses you may suffer as a result.
- On our bus services, we'll be dropping you off and picking you up at both official bus stops and kerbside when our drivers judge it's safe to do so.
2. Payment and Fares
- When you touch in using a contactless payment card or smartphone, you authorise the deduction of the advertised fare from your associated card account. You can ride our bus only after you've validated your contactless payment card against the defined payment terminal.
- If you travel without having touched your contactless payment card on the card reader, you may be asked to leave the bus by a member of staff or a Police Officer.
- You must let a member of staff or a Police Officer examine your contactless payment card at any time during your journey if they ask to do so.
- To check the fare before you travel, go to citymapper.com/smartbus and select a specific route.
- We reserve the right to prevent the use of your contactless payment card for travel.
- Act safely.
- Cooperate with our staff and treat them and other passengers with respect.
- Ensure you're the only person that can hear your music.
- Ensure you pick up all your litter.
- Keep your feet off the seats.
- Give up your seat for others less able to stand.
- Let your driver know if any suspicious package or person is seen on or near a vehicle.
- Smoke or vape.
- Use language that offends others.
- Use bicycles, roller skates, roller blades, scooters, skateboards, hoverboards or similar equipment.
- Use emergency exits except in an emergency or when instructed to do so by our staff.
- Behave in a way that our staff consider to be antisocial.
- Commit any crime that affects our services, passengers, staff or property.
- Carry or drink an open container of alcohol.
- Carry or consume any food or drink, which in the opinion of the driver, may make other customers' journeys unpleasant or which is likely to cause a spillage inside the bus.
- Our buses are monitored by CCTV cameras.
- CCTV images are recorded for the purpose of crime prevention, detection, legal proceedings and public safety. Images of alleged offenders may be passed to the police and be used in a court of law.
- We may also use CCTV images to track crowdedness.
6. Data Protection
- We may use your personal information for customer service and administration, providing you with travel-related information, customer research, and fraud prevention.
- In certain circumstances, we may also share your personal information with the police and other law enforcement agencies to prevent or detect crime.
- After you have used your contactless payment card for travel, we will use the information you provide to carry out an authorisation check with your card issuer and will not use or retain it for any other purpose. After authorisation of your card, we will have a record of the last 4 digits of the card you used, along with a time stamp of when it was used, with no name associated with your transaction.
Although we don't exclude or limit in any way our liability to you where it would be unlawful to do so, such as liability for death or personal injury caused by our negligence, we won't compensate you for any other losses as a result of your riding our bus.
8. Refunds and compensation
- If you believe your card was mistakenly charged, you can contact us for a refund of the incorrect charges at citymapper.com/smartbus/support. We will ask you to provide the last 4 digits of the card you used, along with the time of payment and the route you travelled on.
- Although we don't exclude or limit in any way our liability to you where it would be unlawful to do so, such as liability for death or personal injury caused by our negligence, we won't compensate you for any other losses as a result of our bus services.
- All children 14 or under must be accompanied by an adult on our vehicles.
10. Luggage and possessions
- For safety reasons, and for the comfort of other passengers, we have to control what you can bring with you onto our buses, although we won't charge you for the things we allow.
- If you have luggage or a folding buggy, a shopping trolley or folding cycle, don't put it on the seats or allow it to block gangways, stairs, lifts or passages. Unfolded cycles are not permitted and folding cycles may only be carried in the designated luggage area.
- You may bring with you:
- personal luggage that you're able to carry yourself
- folding buggies and folding cycles that you're able to carry yourself
- any other item, provided it's not dangerous or likely to injure anyone
- You must not bring with you anything that:
- is more than 2 metres long
- you are unable to carry yourself
- is a hazardous or inflammable substance
- is likely to cause injury or offence to other customers or to our staff
- is likely to cause damage to our buses
- Staff can refuse permission for you to take any item onto our services. If you aren't sure if a particular item will be allowed, contact us at citymapper.com/smartbus/support for advice before you travel.
- Please keep your luggage and possessions with you at all times. Unattended property is a security risk and can cause unnecessary delays to services. It will be removed by our staff and may be destroyed by the Police. We have the right to prevent you from bringing anything onto buses if we believe it may create a security risk.
- We want to make travel on our buses easier for everyone, including disabled customers.
- For information about travelling with assistance dogs on our services, please see the Animals section below.
- All of our bus services are accessible for passengers using the following mobility aids:
- wheelchairs up to a width of 70cm and up to a length of 120cm unfolded that are within the weight limit shown on either the ramp or nearby the doorway
- mobility scooters up to a width of 60cm and up to a length of 100cm and with a maximum turning radius of 120cm which are within the weight limit on either the ramp or nearby the doorway
- wheeled mobility walkers up to a width of 60cm and up to a length of 100cm and with a maximum turning radius of 120cm
- If you are a wheelchair or mobility scooter user, in order to travel on any of our bus services, you must at all times pay the required fare.
- Wheelchair and mobility scooter users always have priority over other passengers for the use of the wheelchair space, because this is the only space in which they can travel safely. If someone in a wheelchair wishes to board, and the wheelchair space is occupied by standing passengers, folding bicycles or buggies, standing passengers will be asked by the driver to make room if possible, while bicycle and buggy users will be asked to fold them and put them in the luggage space or keep them by their side. The driver will tell you what to do, but in any event, no one already travelling will be asked to get off the bus in order to accommodate a wheelchair user.
- We reserve the right to refuse travel at any time if:
- the bus driver considers that your mobility aid exceeds the dimensions set out in the Accessibility section and the weight limit set out on either the ramp or nearby the doorway,
- the wheelchair space is already occupied by a wheelchair user,
- the driver considers that the bus is so crowded that there is no room for you to travel safely with your mobility aid, or
- the driver considers that it is unsafe for you to travel on the bus with your mobility aid.
- Access for buggies:
- All of our bus services are accessible for passengers with buggies up to a width or 70cm and a length of 120cm unfolded.
- Wheelchair and mobility scooter users always have priority over everyone else for the use of the wheelchair space. So you may be asked to fold up your buggy to allow wheelchair or mobility scooter users to use the wheelchair space.
- You won't be asked to get off the bus to make space for other passengers.
- We reserve the right to refuse to let you travel if:
- the driver believes that your buggy exceeds the dimensions set out above, or
- the driver considers that the bus is so crowded that there's no room for you to travel safely with your buggy.
- You'll only be refused entry when it is absolutely necessary, but no-one already travelling will be asked to get off the bus.
- Passengers with a buggy may ask to board through the centre doors of a dual-door bus with the driver’s permission. You must immediately go to the front of the bus after boarding to touch your contactless payment card on the card reader.
- If unfolded, please make sure that your buggy is safely positioned within the designated area during transit. For everyone’s comfort and safety, unfolded buggies cannot travel in the gangway
- You can bring an assistance dog with you without charge.
- You can also bring with you without charge any other dog or inoffensive animal, unless there's a good reason for us to refuse it (such as if the animal seems dangerous). You must keep it under control on a lead or in a suitable container, and must not allow it on a seat.
13. Lost Property
- If you find any lost property on our bus services, please tell a member of staff immediately.
- If you lose something on a bus, you can go to citymapper.com/smartbus/support and complete a feedback form, telephone 020 8601 3555, or visit our Lost Property Office at Impact Group Ltd, 7-9 Wadsworth Rd, Perivale, Greenford UB6 7JD, which is open 08:30 to 16:00 Monday to Friday (except public holidays).
- Property can take a minimum of three working days before reaching the Lost Property Office.
- We may charge for the return of lost property.
- If you have a problem with your journey and our staff can't resolve it on the spot, or if you have any comments about the running of our services, you can contact our Customer Services Team at citymapper.com/smartbus/support by filling in a feedback form.